Saturday, July 11, 2009

on this saturday night, i'm going to lay in bed and read this book. (above.) i found it hiding on a shelf in the library this afternoon and needed to read it immediately. I had no idea that Kate Spade had written a style book. I need to start following her more, because it was her that gave me my first 'inspiration'.

when i was about 11 or 12, I had just discovered the Style channel which was probably pretty new at the time, and they had a weekly show that dove into the lives of different fashion designers' lives. It was almost reality TV right before reality TV became huge. I remember they featured Michael Kors on one, Vera Wang on another, and of course Kate Spade. I was absolutely drawn into her episode, watching it whenever it was on, and they often repeated it over and over again. Her entire lifestyle, her designs, her style, the way she spoke and what she promoted made me feel really alive. She had the most beautiful home, road her bike throughout the Hamptons with a huge hat on and flowers in her front basket, and told her impressive, successful yet simple story to the camera. Since I was a little girl, I really loved fashion, just like many girls do. But when I watched that show about Kate Spade, it really gave me an idea for what I wanted to do with my life, what I wanted to be, and how possible it was.

so whether she comes out with even more boxy boring tote bags, or beautiful, colorful classic accessories, kate spade will always be special to me. I'm halfway through the book, which is already a short read, and it's completely adorable and everything I thought it would be. Go read it if you haven't already!