Monday, February 21, 2011

yep. RTW fall 2011

As we all know, last week was New York Fashion Week. Luckily two of my three classes this quarter take place in a computer lab so let's just say there was a lot of zoning out looking at each collection on Style.com in between doing actual work everyday. I enjoyed a lot of the collections but I had a couple favorites.

Proenza Schouler
Proenza Schouler (also known as Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez) has quickly become one of my favorite designers in the industry. They do a fantastic job playing with print, color and proportion while still remaining somewhat minimalistic. How they do it is beyond me. With wild and intricate patterns placed in just the right spots, with the most interesting cuts and silhouettes..i just fall in love with their work every time. I must have clicked through each look over a dozen times just trying to take in every single amazing detail.

Everything that McCollough and Hernandez offer, from the shoes, the bags, to the necklace looking collars (are they embellishments or actual necklaces?), to the way that the fabric hangs on the hips and the way the crazy prints compliment the entire collection, all makes complete sense. It's rare that designers can take such risks but still maintain a feel of cohesiveness and remain flattering to a woman's body. If you're going to wear a Proenza Schouler piece, you're going to get attention but not the kind of attention that makes everyone in the room cringe.

Alexander Wang
I admit it took me a long time to fully appreciate and understand Alexander Wang. Every trendy it girl and fashion blogger on the planet worships at the altar of Alexander Wang and I got sick of it before I even gave it a chance. Now that I understand it, I too am on my way to worshipping at that altar (except for the fact that I own not ONE of his pieces and probably never will.) Yes his designs are overpriced for what they are. What are they? They're perfectly layered, mostly monochromatic, edgy girl looks that rule. A designer that can take an all black ensemble and transform it into something that makes you stop in your tracks and say "god damn. i want that", is someone i want to admire. Anyone can do all black, but not just anyone can make it fucking interesting.

Rodarte
My girls. As if anyone that reads this blog doesn't know...but I love Rodarte. Their designs are not the most functional things on earth but the way that the Mulleavy sister's brains work will continue to fascinate me til the day I die. They're unpredictable in the sense that their designs are always out-doing/topping each other with each collection and it's hard to fully pinpoint an official Rodarte look. However, they are predictable in the sense that they will always do something that no one else has done or seen before. The fall 2011 collection was a twisted "we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto" inspired look. There's an eery feeling to everything that they put on the runway and it makes you want to learn more.

Their process is so much more than just fitting the female body and selling merchandise to rich women on the Upper East Side. Their work requires some thinking. Right off the bat, it's a mess but the more you study it and understand it, it becomes beautiful. Of course Rodarte, like every other high fashion brand, is extremely overpriced and expensive. However, mark my words..if I ever buy myself a Rodarte piece (which i will one day. Spending the money on Alexander Wang or Rodarte? that's a no brainer)
you can bet that it will be hanging in my closet, or maybe even on my wall, like the piece of art that it is.

The Row
Fur haters/PETA, please don't continue reading. You will find zero good in this post. Sorry? Look. I don't wear real fur. Not because I am ethically against it. It's because it's so god damn expensive! And who the hell am i? Waltzing around Savannah going to the SCAD fashion building in my leggings/boots/dress/blazer daily uniform wearing a big ol' fur coat? That's not happening. But man, I wish it was.

This collection by THE OLSEN TWINS (get that through your head. Girls have done good. Let's face it.) is every fur and glamour wish a girl could ever ask for. It's a crowd pleaser for sure because older (rich) women could absolutely wear any of these pieces, as well as a younger (and rich) crowd. It's elegant, classic with just the right amount of 'now' thrown in. I looked at the entire collection on Style.com during class and had to stop myself from saying "come on!" out loud. Sigh. I wish i had somewhere cool to go to so I can actually dress up. One day. Until then I'll just stare at my vintage fur stole that I have hanging up in my room, that I've never worn and never will. It's just morbid eye candy.

Chris Benz

I'm a huge fan of Chris Benz. Not only is he an amazing designer but he's also a regular face around Savannah, as he is mentoring in my school's fashion program. His fall 2011 collection was in fact inspired by Savannah, and I wrote about it here on my other blog Savannah Street Style.

That's all i'm going to say! It was fashion overload this past week, but these were the ones that stuck out to me the most.