Saturday, August 28, 2010

favorite album list: Nada Surf "High/Low"


questions like "whats your favorite color?" or "who is your favorite artist?", "who is your favorite designer?", "whats your favorite band?" "whats your favorite movie?" give me anxiety when I think about it. Favorites freak me out. I ask these questions all the time, we all do, but answering them is one big "Eeeeek!" in my brain for me. It's Sophie's Choice. What do I pick? I left something out! Wait, come back! I forgot I have two favorites! I changed my mind! Ah!

But recently I've decided that I need to have a couple favorites stored up in my brain for when the time strikes and I'll have to quickly answer one of these dreaded questions. I mean, it says a lot about you to someone that you've just met. At least that's how I view it when I ask these things to new people. Did you just say that your favorite band is Dave Matthews Band? Oh, you said you like "all genres" of music? Your favorite movie is Mr. Deeds? YIKES. See these basic questions are a big safety precaution. Do you really want to keep talking to someone that think Dane Cook is an entertainment genius? Of course not. Good thing you asked the "favorite comedian" question, huh!

Alright, so let's get to the point here. I came to the conclusion that I'll never have a favorite band. I'll always have like, 5 (or 6, maybe 7) favorites. I'll never have a favorite album. I'll have like, 5 (or maybe 6, maybe ..7? 8?) but definitely one of those favorites has to be Nada Surf's 1996 album "High/Low".











Though it's probably not number one or two on my list, it's good enough to call an all time favorite. I really enjoy listening to it from start to finish. That's rare. There is always that track or two, or three that you skip and curse the day it was even born. "Get this shit off!", as you skip to every other track but that one. I don't think I curse the day any of the tracks on High/Low were born. Get into it. Skip the bullshit they recorded recently, all over romantic comedies & The O.C (not exactly hating on The O.C though. Secretly obsessed with that show and the soundtracks)

I figure I will do a little feature on my favorite albums every now and then on here. Not that you care, but maybe you do. I just want to share. Sharing is nice. I think I'm a nice girl. Let's do this.

ps: speaking of music, i write a weekly post on Cool Material, suggesting two new albums & writing a short review. Every Wednesday it's usually up so check it out. I've been doing it for a couple of weeks now, check out past write ups: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.