Saturday, August 22, 2009

bottle up & explode over and over.







I don't know what is with me but I guess I'm in a 90's romance Ethan Hawke point in my life. Is that even a legitimate excuse for any type of point in one's life? For some reason, I think the answer is yes. It is. The only thing left for me to see is Reality Bites which I've meaning to watch for such a long time. That's next on the invisible Ethan Hawke 90's romance movie list I have going in my brain. I guess that list is better to have than the, hm let's see...Nathan Lane 90's romance list, right? So I guess I'm not totally pathetic.

Tonight I finally watched, from start to finish, the movie Great Expectations. Based off the novel by Charles Dickens, about a boy named Finn falling in love with a girl Estella when they were children, only to see that throughout their lives the issue of wealth & social status lurks in the shadows making their love impossible. There is so much more to the tale and the movie is shot brilliantly. The creepy yet stunning overgrown gardens, the costume design, the crumbling yet ornate mansion belonging to Estella's old crazy aunt, the depressing rainy streets of New York, the soundtrack and the incredibly perfect Central Park in the fall. I could go on and on.

photo credit for the second photo..